Peter John Schanen, FNP-C
Hailing from Robstown, Texas, John has lived in Helotes for over 11 years now and considers the San Antonio area to be home. He has been married for 21 years and has two children who are also very supportive and involved in his business. He has been working as a clinician in various ERs in the Corpus Christi and San Antonio areas for the last 2.5 years, but has also worked in urgent care and family health settings. His passion, however, is in the ER and Urgent Care settings and the business aspect that comes with each. Before becoming a nurse practitioner, John owned and operated 7 outpatient physical therapy clinics located throughout South Texas for over 10 years. As a non practicing owner, the challenge and reward of not providing direct patient care was missing, so in 2009 he sold the business and enrolled in school with the goal of becoming a nurse practitioner and opening an urgent care and family practice. When not striving to keep his patients happy and healthy, he enjoys reading, golfing, snow skiing, and traveling with his family. John works in collaboration with Jeffrey Johnson, DO, a family medicine practitioner.
- Texas Board of Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners - Family Nurse Practitioner Certification
- University of Texas @ El Paso - Doctor of Nurse Practice – In Progress – Expected graduation May 2018
- University of Texas @ El Paso - Master of Science in Nursing – Family Nurse Practitioner
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Magna Cum Laude
- San Antonio College - Associates of Applied Science in Nursing
- St. Philip’s College - Certificate of Vocational Nursing – President’s List
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) - Member
- Texas Nurse Practitioner’s Association (TNPA) – Member
- American & Texas Nurses Association (ANA/TNA) – Member
- San Antonio Nurses in Advanced Practice - Member
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society – Member
- Dean’s Honor Roll – Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- Presidents’ List – St. Philip’s College 2010
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society – Member
- BLS, ACLS, PALS certified - American Heart Association
- Previous Volunteer – University Health System, Trauma/Neuro ICU
What exactly is a Nurse Practitioner?
A Nurse Practitioner is a Registered Nurse (RN) who has also completed a masters or doctoral degree in nursing science and specialty training in a specific area such as family practice, pediatrics, or midwifery. In addition to education requirements, Nurse Practitioners are required to pass national board certification in their area of specialty. Licensed as both Nurse Practitioners and Registered Nurses, Family Nurse Practitioners (FNP) often provide a range of routine healthcare to all age groups of immediate or acute and chronic or long-term health needs. Nurse Practitioners can work closely with doctors to provide individualized care for their patients. Nurse Practitioners are licensed in 50 states, and can dispense most medications. Although doctors have additional training to help patients deal with complex medical problems, it is widely believed that Nurse Practitioner spend more time with their patients. Their training emphasizes disease prevention, reduction of health risks, and thorough patient education. Like doctors, Nurse Practitioners are involved in more than just direct patient care. Many participate in education, research, and legislative activities to improve the quality of healthcare in the United States.